Understanding the Regional Challenges; Knowing the Local Partners Read more
Our Research, Monitoring and Evaluation team cuts across our entire regional and thematic portfolio. Our team extracts insights in complex and fragile settings by selecting and refining the most sophisticated research, monitoring and evaluation techniques. We help donors and institutions design more impactful programmes and operate with confidence in the effectiveness of their interventions.
Our experts identify and adapt methodologies that are best suited to conflict settings, employing proven methods and best practices to produce accurate results. We offer services across the spectrum of research, monitoring and evaluation, including formative and adaptive evaluations, qualitative and quantitative research, and third-party monitoring.
Examples of work
Monitoring and evaluation
- In Lebanon, we evaluate the impact of projects designed to help the country cope with pressures created by the humanitarian crisis in Syria. To measure impact on social cohesion and stability, we manage a programme of mixed-methods research and data collection in 19 Lebanese municipalities, assessing community perceptions through innovative and participatory community engagement techniques.
- In Iraq and Syria, Aktis and consortium partner Transtec lead third-party monitoring of DFID’s unilateral humanitarian and crisis response. Through field monitoring observations, beneficiary surveys and key informant interviews, we provide recommendations on how to improve humanitarian response and maximise value for money. We also lead third-party monitoring for the Syria Recovery Trust Fund (SRTF), a multi-donor fund that is rebuilding infrastructure across the country.
Research and analysis
- In Libya and the Horn of Africa, we oversee a comprehensive research programme into the drivers and dynamics of irregular migration. Our local field teams provide deep reach into affected areas and provide the nuanced, real-time evidence required to plan projects that improve decision-making on migration issues and enhance management of the migration crisis.
- In Pakistan, we provide ongoing research and analysis support across a multimillion-pound conflict management programme, delivering a strong evidence base for donor interventions. Our work includes data-driven conflict analysis that maps violent incidents and conflict intensity across Pakistan, linked to robust research on the drivers of violent extremism.
- In Syria, Aktis and Transtec are conducting research for DFID on a wide range of issues relating to the delivery of humanitarian assistance. Below you will find examples of our research.
Click on the images above to access the reports
- In Somalia, we lead innovative research into the drivers of radicalisation, informing the design of communications campaigns intended to offer alternatives to narratives promoted by extremist groups. Our team has developed a set of Vulnerability Profiles that provide a platform to help stakeholders understand which campaigns launched by community-based organisations have been the most effective in reaching vulnerable individuals and communities. Surveys are employed to gauge the effectiveness of these organisations, and the data acquired through these efforts feeds into campaign design in an iterative manner.